[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 06:30:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > The sole purpose of channel numbers is to allow users to jump directly
> > to a given channel when in Live TV.
> I can think of a few more purposes for the channel numbers:

When Mike said that he meant "the sole use of channel numbers by MythTV...".

> 1) All TV listings from all sources use channel numbers. Use your own
> random numbers and you will need a map to find that show you want to watch.

I find shows by name. Can't say I've used channel numbers to find shows
since I started using MythTV.

> 2) TV advertisements use those channel numbers to tell you what channel the
> show is on.

Still easier to find it by name. Besides skipping ads is one of the major
features of MythTV so TV ads rarely get the chance to tell me anything.

> 3) the channel list that the cable company sends out lists stations by
> channel number.

I haven't used any other listing info in years. It's all in the EPG and then
I don't have to worry about channel numbers.

> 3) it is much easier to enter a channel number than a call sign to tune a
> channel.

That's what they're there for.

Channel numbers are useful in Myth for jumping to channels LiveTV. If you
don't use LiveTV they are completely superfluous.

> >  So, in your case, every channel should
> > have a unique channel number.  Channel numbers are user-editable, so
> > just go into mythtv-setup, mythfrontend, or MythWeb channel editor and
> > change them as desired.
> That would make a mess of the listings, and require a book of a translation
> table to find the right channel.
> Worse, this data all gets wiped out every time one must rescan the channels
> (something I'm doing right now since Comcast encrypted all extended basic),
> and
> even just setting everything back to the Comcast channel numbers usually
> takes a full day.

How many channels do you have!