[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Tom Furie tom at furie.org.uk
Wed Apr 21 00:47:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 05:06:28PM -0700, Douglas Peale wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > The sole purpose of channel numbers is to allow users to jump
> > directly to a given channel when in Live TV.
>
> I can think of a few more purposes for the channel numbers: 1) All TV
> listings from all sources use channel numbers. Use your own random
> numbers and you will need a map to find that show you want to watch.

Well, don't use random numbers then. You could use some sort of system
like 1xx for channels showing predominantly sports, 2xx for channels
showing predominantly documentaries, 3xx for drama, etc.

Even my TV allows me to move channels around if I don't like the default
order.

> 2) TV advertisements use those channel numbers to tell you what
> channel the show is on.

Any TV advertisements I've seen don't specify the channel number, only
the channel name.

> 3) the channel list that the cable company sends out lists stations by
> channel number.

Simply the map you mentioned in 1) above. Just because that is how
they've configured it doesn't mean you *have* to do the same. Admittedly
it's often more convenient just to follow what's there, but you have the
option of changing it to suit your taste.

Cheers,
Tom

--
The Army needs leaders the way a foot needs a big toe.
		-- Bill Murray