[mythtv-users] Pre-amp for Hauppauge 1600

Dave Day david.scott.day at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 22:57:23 UTC 2010

I have an antenna in the attic feeding about 100' of RG6.

I get about 7 local stations but only two of them are always good.
The two good ones are hi-band VHF.  Three others are good about 50% of
the time
and two others usually break up during a program.

I am wondering about getting a pre-amp and if so which one to get.  The
Haupauge
1600 doesn't give MythTV any signal strength info but it does give SNR
numbers which
I take it are divided by 10 compared to normal SNR values.
Consequently, in my experience
an SNR of 2.3 (23dB?) or better usually gives a good solid error free
program, but under 2.3 usually
breaks up.  Some of these weaker stations are usually about 2.1 or 2.0.
The highest I can
recall ever seeing on the stronger signals are 2.4.  Is there a rule of
thumb I should be aware of
concerning how much amplification I need to get everything comfortably
above 2.4?

And do any of you Hauppauge 1600 owners have a feel as to whether I have
lots of headroom to add a preamp?
Or am I in danger of overloading things?  Since VHF is normally OK, I am
thinking about getting a
UHF only preamp, but I don't really have a feel as to how many dB of
amplification to get.

Thanks,
Dave