[mythtv-users] Working HVR-1800

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:08:34 UTC 2010

> Just a few points,
> I must be getting come clear signals as I can connect and oldish TV
> directly into the cable feed and get channel 2 - 70 (TV only allow 2
> digit channel numbers)

These are analog signals.

> Now on the HD STB (Set Top Box) I can get many, many more channels

These are the digital channels.

> Whether these are digital or analog I don't know.  But according to the
> provider and according to Schedules Direct I would go with Digital not
> analog, but I DO NOT know.
>

> Whenever I connect my cable to the third connector, (the one closest to
> the RCA and s-video) I don't get anything at all.  I would agree from
> the labeling that this would be the right connector (as it is labels
> Digital Cable).  However, I DO get a signal on the middle which is
> (labeled Analog Cable / TV).  (So adds to the confusion above Digital or
> Analog)
>
> See below.

You mentioned cable companies use QAM64 and QAM128 IRC

> If I use/select QAM256 what effects would I see?  Would this make the
> picture purple and green?  Or just not work at all.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "use/select".  The digital tuner on the
HVR-1800 card will automatically do the conversion for you.  You don't need
to select anything.

> I have subscribed to Schedules Direct they have the following:
> Zip Code   34442
> Location   Crystal River, US
> Name       Bright House Networks Citrus County - Digital
> Type       CableDigital
>
>  Good first step.

> Using this in Myth-Backend It lists all the channels including the HD or
> high value 1000+ channel numbers.
>
> On Mythtv-setup
> General      -> Channel frequency table:   us-cable-irc
>
> I think that is correct.  Not in front of system now, so can't be sure but
I don't think any other choices make sense (except for OTA if you were using
an antenna).

> Capture Card ->  Card Type:      Analog V4L capture card      (selected)
>        other options include    MJPEG capture card (Matrox G200, DC10)
>                                 IVTV MPEG-2 encoder card
>                                 H.264 encoder card (HD-PVR)
>                                 DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)
> This might be my first mistake
>
> Yes, this is wrong. You want DVB.

>                 Video device:   /dev/video0                  (selected)
>        other options include    /dev/video1
>
> The first four Card types have these options the DVB DTV capture
> card has       /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>
> Yes, you want the /dev/dvb/adater0/frontend0

>                 Probed Info:    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1800 [cx23885]
>                 VBI device:     blank
>
>                 Audio device:   /dev/dsp                     (selected)
> Might be my second mistake
>        other options include    ALSA:default
>                                (None)
>
> If you have ALSA set up correctly (which usually means not doing anything
on recent distros) you should be using ALSA:default.  But first you need to
get a picture.  You can worry about sound later.

>                 Default input:  Television                   (selected)
>        other options include    Composite1
>                                 S-Video
> These other options are there for /dev/video0   only  with /dev/video1
> is has      (unset)
>
> Yeah.  These will change when you select DVB for your capture card.

> I know I'm probably messing up with the cable in the wrong connector
> AND/OR the setting in mythtv-backend
>
> Try one more time and you should get something.

> Great Help before thanks again Ken.
>
> Glad to help.

-- Ken E.