[mythtv-users] Quick survey regarding passthrough device settings

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:12:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 19 April 2010 23:52, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been using ttable entries in asoundrc to re-route 5.1 channels
>> to stereo channels to overcome the problem of some audio inaudible on
>> certain videos.
>>
>> Would there be something to alleviate this.  I have found that
>> re-mixing is not fast enough on the revo 1600 though, so the current
>> implementation has not worked for me with regards to playing videos
>> with 5.1AAC to my stereo tv over hdmi..
>
> Mythtv 0.24 will include a proper downmixer ; so when playing 5.1 (or
> others) on a stereo system, you will hear everything : that includes
> the dialogues.
>
> This is an issue mainly with AAC and mythtv compiled without libfaad ;
> there's no downmix happening so you will usually miss on the
> dialogues.

Without knowing how mythtv "mixes" for different outputs, will it be
possible to *never* mix and just let our alsa configs handle the
channel mappings?  I have found it to be very good as far as lag on my
slow cpu goes.  I remember from a thread a while ago (I believe it was
you) stated that the mythtv mixer was faster than alsa, so I guess
that would be better?

I'm not exactly sure what alsa is doing software-wise when I use the
route and ttable syntax to accomplish it currently either :)  I just
know it finally works for any video I throw at it - that makes us
happy.

Also, I assumed the pcm entry I created would show up in the list of
devices to select in mythtv setup, but in fact it does not.  I had to
type it manually (wasted a long time there thinking I had alsa setup
improperly - REALLY long time)  :)

Where does mythtv get that list, and do you know how I can get my
slave populated there?

Thanks!

-Greg