[mythtv-users] Can't get ATI HDTV Wonder to work with analog on Ubuntu 64 9.10

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 01:42:48 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010 09:26:37 pm Douglas Peale wrote:
<snip>

> No go
> Attempting to run that script without sudo I get:
>
> $ ./testscript2
> FATAL: Error removing cx8800
> (/lib/modules/2.6.31-21-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8800.ko)
> : Operation not permitted FATAL: Module cx88_dvb is in use.
> FATAL: Module nxt200x is in use.
> FATAL: Error removing cx88_alsa
> (/lib/modules/2.6.31-21-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-alsa.
> ko): Operation not permitted FATAL: Error removing tuner
> (/lib/modules/2.6.31-21-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/tuner.ko):
> Operation not permitted FATAL: Module tuner_simple is in use.
> FATAL: Module tuner_types is in use.
>
> Attempting to run it with sudo I get:
>
> $ sudo ./testscript2
> [sudo] password for dpeale:
> FATAL: Module cx88_dvb is in use.
> FATAL: Module nxt200x is in use.
> FATAL: Module tuner_simple is in use.
> FATAL: Module tuner_types is in use.
>
> I am not aware of what is using the tuner, Myth backend is idle.
>
> I Just stopped the mythTV backend, and was able to run the script.
> running the Mplayer got me video and sound for the first time ever out of
> the analog tuner. Progress at last!
>
> Oddly, the analog tuner has disappeared from the MythTV Live TV input
> selection list so I can not test it with myth TV.
>
> Have you come up with a method of automating this script so it runs before
> myth backend starts?

I don't usually run analog (haven't in months), so I don't run the script at
startup.  Not getting analog seems to be a problem only from a cold boot.  I
believe I used to kill mythbackend, run the script, run the mplayer command to
test that analog now works, restart mythbackend and then the analog tuner
worked in myth.  You could also try a warm boot after running the script (just
do a "reboot").  The problem with having mythbackend running when trying to
run the script may be due to EIT.  I never had EIT enabled so it wasn't a
problem for me.

Let me know if any of this helps.

-- Harry O.