[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 19 23:25:46 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010 05:10:05 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> I'm curious: am I the only person around here who's using an antenna
> >> splitter with enough outputs that I can use the TVs own tuners for
> >> watching LiveTV?
> >
> > What a novel concept: Actually use the TV for what it was designed for.
> >
> > Of course the advantage of watching live TV with Myth is the ability to
> > just hit "R" and save the program for posterity, as well as being able to
> > pause things when the phone rings or another "student" selling magazine
> > subscriptions rings the door bell.
>
> Which is never necessary if you record everything you might /possibly/
> want to watch rather than only recording things you know you want to
> watch.  If you do, Live TV has absolutely no use whatsoever...

Of course you never know what's going to pop up on live TV. I still have some
VHS tape from mid-September 2001 that I could not have anticipated.

I think  many Myth users almost never use the live TV function (I use it
rarely), but it seems to be the first thing complained about by new users when
their systems are not set up properly. It takes new users a while to figure out
that eliminating live viewing is a feature, not a problem.

One large advantage to Myth, IMHO, is that I do not have to watch live TV,
along with its commercials, and I can watch what I want when I want.