[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 for Comcast Digital in US - how would you build?

Scott pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 19:33:32 UTC 2010

On 4/19/2010 3:17 PM, mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> What technical directions would you take if:
>
> - You were forced to Comcast Digital service (private) with HD
> - You wanted to tune for Live TV thru Myth 0.22 AND record
> - ideally you had the bulk of the backend and tuners in a "server closet"
> somewhere in the house
> - your were selecting/building your hardware from scratch
> - you have ethernet wiring ready from each FE to the BE/Tuner closet
>
> Asking in ref:
> - Tuner devices/cards to work (as best as possible) with whatever Comcast
> box and link technology (firewire, composite)
> - Does HD change the recommendation
> - Does trying to make the Tuners and BE remote from FE change the
> recommendation?  (IR and blasting)
>
> I'm asking because I'm really unclear what would be most "turn-key" and
> reliable if budget and pre-existing equipment were not considerations.
> TIA!!!!!!!
>
> p.s. "screw Comcast" is a very viable answer, but not quite what I'm
> looking for here...  ;-)

Your question is very broad and will be hard to answer without nothing
what you already have.

I had to do the switch to digital a little while back. Im using 2 STB's,
a Motorola 6200 via firewire (which is so simple to setup, the only
negative ive heard is channels that are not in clearqam will not work,
any standard/HD cable channels ive tried have worked) The other STB is a
DTA100, does mostly standard SD channels, took a while but i found a
working ir blaster solution to change the channels. Im feeding that into
a pvr150.

If your starting the frontends from stratch highly consider getting VDPAU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU
 From results ive read it can basically handle any high demanding video
formats (i.e. HD) Note: Im not using VDPAU since i have an AGP card, but
ive been using XVMC for my HD recording. So If were starting from the
beginning Id look into using nividia ION for frontends. Basically with
that choice the rest the hardware doesnt matter as much i.e. even an
atom processor will work.

I think even if you leave comcast you would be in the same situation
with sat providers, unless you happen to have an cable provider, which
seems rare.