[mythtv-users] Replacing Commercials with Private Commercials

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Apr 19 16:25:31 UTC 2010

On 4/19/2010 10:29 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> First, remember that CNN is not a "broadcast", it's a private closed circuit
> feed. Usually the cable companies or satellite providers are empowered to
> negotiate commercial deals, like providing a feed for a bar or other public
> place.

Right -- CNN is a different story. But even in the case of Cable TV, it's still a "broadcast".

I see stuff like this at the airport all the time where you can tell that the video has been
tailored to suit the environment.

Again, some contract was probably reached. So it's not just a matter of the airport buying a feed (commercial or not) and then doing with the video what they please.

> The local availabilities technically "belong" to the cable company or sat
> company, so they could probably re-sell those slots, but Myth would have no
> way to know what was a network commercial and what was a local avail.

Yep. But I bet if the local CATV company found out you were doing this without some sort of agreement, they'd probably get upset.
I used to work in CATV and there were a lot of things they'd let you do for no fee, just as long as they knew about it.

> There are commercial devices available to do precisely what you are looking
> for, but they are expensive, and usually require access to the raw feed from
> the network, as well as a decoder device of some sort to "roll" the local spot
> and insert it. Usually the "roll" cue is a bit early to allow for a tape
> machine to come up to speed.

That's how the CATV companies do it with the sat feeds. (one fun example that comes to mind is The Weather Channel)

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.