[mythtv-users] Best way to get 0.23 backend with Debian Lenny

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Sat Apr 17 08:31:05 UTC 2010

Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> writes:

> 2010/4/17 Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe at ingolfs.dk>:
>> Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> writes:

>>> If your goal is to get a stable Debian-based system which doesn't
>>> break during upgrades, it might be worth noticing that Ubuntu 10.04 is
>>> a LTS release, meaning that you'll get 3 years of support on the
>>> desktop edition.
>>
>> That is indeed the goal :-) My Myth backend server has been running for
>> years without any problems (and without me having to update
>> anything). Only recently did I upgrade to Lenny to get Myth 0.22
>>
>>> Looking on the history of Debian
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history), 3 years of
>>> support also seems to be the default in recent Debian releases. Lenny
>>> was released on the 14th of February 2009, meaning that you can expect
>>> support until around February 2012. Ubuntu/Mythbuntu 10.04 will be
>>> released in a week or so, meaning you'll get support until around
>>> April 2013.
>>>
>>> I have a Ubuntu 8.04 Server LTS running and I've selected only to
>>> allow security updates on it, eg. it's very stable during upgrades.
>>>
>>> Just an alternative thought :)
>>
>> We're  getting close to OT, but I haven't followed the latest distro
>> updates, so what will it buy me to update to Ubuntu vs Debian? Note that
>> my current backend runs in a Xen VM, no graphical UI.
>
> I'm sorry if this is off-topic. That was why I asked what the goal
> was. If you don't need a GUI, you'll get 5 years of support (security
> updates until April 2015) with Ubuntu Server LTS compared to ~2 years
> (~February 2012?) with Debian Lenny, both releases are Debian-based
> and enterprise ready. With Ubuntu you can enable the Mythbuntu
> autobuilds for -fixes, which will solve your problem with getting 0.23
> onto Debian and also automatically provide you with bugfix-updates for
> MythTV. However, I must admit that I haven't tested the Mythbuntu
> autobuilds with Ubuntu Server LTS, only Ubuntu Desktop LTS.
>
> But of course, if you need/want Debian Lenny I see your point.

I don't really need Debian, I just happen to like it :-) But Ubuntu is
close enough that it may work. How does mythtv work on Ubuntu? If I
choose to run 10.04 Server, will the new releases of mythtv (ie 0.24,
0.25) work with this or will I be stuck with the mythtv version current
when 10.04 is released?

/Jeppe