[mythtv-users] Transcoding issues. SD is fine, HD fails

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Wed Apr 14 14:44:34 UTC 2010

Neil Salstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:19 AM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>> The problem probably is in the misdetection of fields vs. frames. I guess
>> it's 50interlaced fields, which is 25fps.
>> If fields are interpreted as frames you get the slow-motion effect.
>> I issued 1456 1457 1472 on the ffmpeg 'bug' list.
>> Depending on the container mp4 mkv or mpeg-ts you probably can circumvent
>> the situation by defining 50fps in the container, play at double-speed.
>
> This is with ATSC and not PAL.  The original files are 1080i_30, 720p_60.
I'm almost sure that forcing to fps 60 will solve your problems.
ffmpeg -i transcoded-file.ext will tell you what ffmpeg thinks what ist
the right speed.

mediainfo -f transcoded-file.ext will probably tell you that video
duration is twice the audio-length.

> I also tried playback without VDPAU and it behaves the same so it does
> not seem to be playback related but rather how it was transcoded.
It reads the info from transcoded-file.ext if that's wrong, because of
the wrong transcoding, so will playback be wrong.