[mythtv-users] Question about Storage groups...

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 10:58:26 UTC 2010

----- "Steven Dennis" <nzdreamer55 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Steve
> > Have you read here?
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html
>
> I have looked at this, however I'm a little confused on how to use
> subversion.  I understand the theory in that it only down loads and
> updates new stuff, however in practice I'm not sure how to do this.

Read here:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/

More on subversion is here (although you don't need this level of detail):

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

> I understand how to flush out a tarball file.  Kind of get how to
> compile a program, not to sure how to use subversion to "get" stuff.
> The HOWTO file does not really address this, only states that this is
> the most up to date way of getting it.
>

> > Also, to add a directory to the default group make sure
> > you highlight it then press select/enter and enter
> > the path in the box that appears.  Read about Storage
> > groups here:
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1
>
> Thanks this link helps a lot.  From what I have learned so far it
> seems that installing ubuntu first then adding mythtv would be the
> best way, however a little harder than a distribution specific
> method.

'Best' is totally subjective, each of the distributions add thier own
*flavor* to mythtv, which you won't get out of svn.  SVN provides a
means of staying at the bleeding edge of mythtv development.  Unless
you are interested in learning about myth development; interested in
learning how to compile and install on your own; or have need/want a
special feature that is only in svn -- then a distro is for you.  Your
original question about storage groups isn't going to change because
your changed how you installed myth.  So if your only reason for looking
at svn is because you were having trouble with storage groups, go back
to a distro and work on entering a directory in the SG (which I gave you
a link too in my first reply).

BTW: to compile myth you will need to have an environment setup to compile
software...  ie: you will need things like a compiler (gcc), appropriate
development libraries (usually identified with 'devel' in thier names), make,
etc.

BTW2: Ubuntu is just on linux flavor -- there are many others and you could
install myth on pretty much any of them.

> When partitioning the drive is a swap partition needed or
> recommended?
>  I just went to my first Linux gathering locally and the speaker
> noted
> that a swap partition isn't needed as typical RAM is so large (Did I
> just start on a controversial topic?)

What exactly is "typical RAM"?  an ION machine with 1G of ram seems pretty
"typical"...  Given that such a machine shares its memory with the video
system, swap space is going to be needed.

Some applications (don't believe this is true for most linux apps - but is for
older windows apps) expect the system to have swap and won't operate correctly
without it.

Swap space is also used by the system to place dump files if something happens
with the system.  So no swap, no way to debug the kernel if it crashes.  For most
users this isn't an issue as they wouldn't know how to recover said file any ways (I
would have to research how to do this as I don't know how to do it myself).

As far as how much swap space is needed -- the old guideline of 2x the installed
memory isn't necessarly applicable to a number of current machines.  If your system
has enough physical memory to meet the requirements of running your system, then swap
space allocated should be large enough to accommodate the afore mentioned dump file.

Nasa