[mythtv-users] Transcoding issues. SD is fine, HD fails

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 01:35:44 UTC 2010

Is Transcoding broken in 0.23?  I'm running 0.23-fixes (on Debian
Lenny) and the other day decided to try and save some space by
transcoding some recordings.  I'm using a HDHomerun (at one point
Comcast QAM and now OTA).  I transcoded a dozen or so Mythbusters (SD,
480i) and everything was great.  File size was much smaller and the
quality was great (this was using the "Autodetect" option).

I then went a head and transcoded many more shows (again using
autodetect)... This time they were HD (both 720p and 1080i).  Uh oh...
Not good!  The video is now slow and juddery and they sound like
SLOOOOOWWWWW tape being played.

This only happens with HD.  All the Autodetect options are default.

I have a feeling I just lost all my Simpsons....

Anyone else experience this?  I've never debugged before but if anyone
has any suggestions on what I can do to try and figure this out I'm
game!

Neil