[mythtv-users] Desperate for help - scte65scan/qam/mythtv

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 22:40:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Billy Masters <billy at slicky.net> wrote:

> So... what the heck am I missing here?
> Any help is very much appreciated!
> Billy

My guess is that Comcast is using "privacy mode" in your area, this
seems to be the case for me as well. From my understanding, privacy
mode is a weak encryption which can be decrypted by the the DTAs. They
got a waiver from the FCC to allow them to do this.
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-August/262549.html
Do you have a QAM tuner in your TV? Are you able to tune "extended
basic" channels on that?
If they have indeed used privacy mode, then it would seem that the
local OTAs is all you're going to reliably get.

--Justin Johnson