[mythtv-users] Network Attached USB Adapter

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Apr 13 15:51:42 UTC 2010

On 13 Apr 2010, at 16:27, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 April 2010 09:20:13 am Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> Someone asked recently about a way to attach USB devices through the LAN.
>> Just saw this:
>>
>> http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/ADU2N1G.asp
>>
>> Some suggested setting up an Acer Revo or somesuch to host USB devices. But
>> *this* is really what we're thinking about: No OS to maintain, only $50, 5V
>> power, etc.
>
> Interesting device, and a lot cheaper than any other similar solution I've
> seen.
>
> I wonder what would happen if part of the network link was wireless (like a
> WiFi bridge). IOW, what network layer does it operate on?

I had a client who wanted to use one across a wan!?! At least they paid me to confirm that it didn't work across the wan and wasn't a reliable or fast solution across a local net either.
They operate at L2 (Ethernet) so wifi will be fine provided it's just wifi and not a nat router too or at least on the private side.

>> I don't see any mention of OS support on the page. I assume Linux support
>> will *not* be provided by the manufacturer.

I believe there is some generic linux support for those sort of things but I found that in Windows the extra latency made it very slow and unreliable at best.

Andre