[mythtv-users] Yet another Fedora 12 lirc_serial question

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Apr 13 14:35:12 UTC 2010

On 04/13/2010 01:35 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>  wrote:
>> On 04/11/2010 12:42 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>> I've ensured that MythTV is using /var/run/lirc/lircd as the lirc device.
>>>
>>> This is my /etc/sysconfig/lirc file:
>>> LIRCD_OPTIONS=""
>>> LIRC_DRIVER=""
>>> LIRC_DEVICE=""
>>> ENABLE_LIRCMD="no"
>>> LIRCMD_OPTIONS="
>>>
>> The lirc kernel modules uses different spots for things.
>> You DO need to modprobe the actual drivers
>> Try
>> LIRCD_OPTIONS="-r"
>
> This is the "send distinct release event" command switch to lircd.
>
>> LIRC_DRIVER="devinput" # OR your driver here-"  Use lircd -H help for the
>> list
>
> All lirc_foo kernel drivers use the "default" driver.
>
>> The device probably shows up as an input device: look in
>> /dev/input/by-id/.... for something which matches what dmesg reports your
>> unit as
>> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/whatever
>
> Only for linux input layer devices though. lirc_foo kernel drivers all
> set up a /dev/lircX device node.
>
>> Geoff
>> (Everything I know about this, Jarod Wilson taught me)
>
> My teaching could use some improvement. ;)
>

> Nb: Real Soon Now, I'm going to start working on converting the mceusb
> driver into an input layer driver... Well, actually, going to make it
> a hybrid driver than can run as either a pure input layer driver or as
> a native lirc device. We've just gotten rc5, rc5x and rc6 (as well as
> nec and a few other) protocol decoders merged into the v4l-dvb git
> tree, which I'm going to take advantage of to make the stock mce
> remotes Just Work -- as well as adding support for the mce keyboard
> (here's lookin' at you, jams!).

Jarod,
This is 'my bad'.
He said he was using FC12 and the lirc kernel module. He wrote 'kernel
module'. I jumped to the mistaken conclusion that he was referring to
the imon kernel module, notwithstanding the subject line (short
attention span or something). So my suggestion is all wrong.

Heh! 'Real Soon Now' is spelt 'Real Soon Now (c) Jerry Pournelle'!

And will the Real Soon Now mceusb parallel the handling/structure of the
imon.ko module?

That will be Kewl!

Geoff