[mythtv-users] My mom wants a DVR...

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Tue Apr 13 04:34:05 UTC 2010

I just wanted to second the feedback about WiFi being adequate for a standalone system. It is. That's what I've set up for my sister. She has inherited my first BE/FE system and I'm even able to maintain it for her remotely using VNC via ssh tunneling. When I visit, I make backups to an external drive for her.

Her setup works even better since I replaced her Linksys USB wireless adapter with a wired connection to a wireless router running dd-wrt and acting as a client bridge to the router connected to her broadband modem. I switched when she got a Blu-ray player with an ethernet connection. I no longer need to muck with wireless driver recompiles whenever there's a kernel update. And I don't need a cron job to monitor the wireless connection. A D-link DIR-615 router tended to drop the connection almost daily, a Linksys WRT54G router proved more reliable but not 100%.

There's still a cron job to monitor the IP address assigned by her ISP and which updates her domain's DNS entry when necessary. Her ISP likes to force an IP address change monthly. Without the cron job, I couldn't remotely admin her machine.

A word of caution about Revos with built in WiFi adapters. I've got a 3610 serving as a frontend which dual boots Win7 when we want to watch something on Netflix. I couldn't get a reliable connection with its built in Atheros adapter. It would not have been sufficient even for a standalone system.

HTH,
Helen