[mythtv-users] Trouble with lirc and HD-PVR on Fedora 12

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 02:08:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM, richard Woelk <richardwoelk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2010 13:37, John Welch wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM, John Welch<jrw3319 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> I have a Fedora 12 Mythtv back-end system with myth packages coming
>>> from the ATrpms repo.  Around the turn of the year I had my HD-PVR
>>> fully operational, including IR transmitter, using the info from the
>>> MythTV wiki.  For various reasons I haven't used the HD-PVR for a
>>> while, but now that I am trying to use it again I am having some
>>> problems with lirc and the IR transmitter.  Per the HD-PVR wiki
>>> instructions I have the lirc_zilog (and lirc_dev) modules loaded, but
>>> yet no lirc devices exists under /dev.
>>>
>>> Trying to troubleshoot the issue I unloaded the lirc_zilog module and
>>> stopped the lirc service; then I tried starting from scratch.  When I
>>> manually load the lirc_zilog module I see the following in
>>> /var/log/messages:
>>> Apr 10 15:58:47 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver
>>> registered, major 249
>>> Apr 10 15:58:47 localhost kernel: lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR
>>> driver initializing
>>> Apr 10 15:58:47 localhost kernel: lirc_zilog: initialization complete
>>>
>>> To me this seems to indicate that the module(s) loaded successfully
>>> and if I run an lsmod the lirc_zilog and lirc_dev modules do appear.
>>> However, I'm still not seeing an lirc device showing up in /dev.
>>> Continuing on I restarted the lirc service.  When I do this I get
>>> several thousand messages like the following showing up in
>>> /var/log/messages:
>>>
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: "2195390513" is out of range
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: error in configfile line
>>> 30938:
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: "2195390514" is out of range
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: error in configfile line
>>> 30940:
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: "2195390515" is out of range
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: error in configfile line
>>> 30942:
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: "2195390541" is out of range
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: error in configfile line
>>> 30944:
>>> Apr 10 16:02:01 localhost lircd-0.8.6[6055]: "2195390542" is out of range
>>>
>>> These messages are apparently being generated due to an issue with my
>>> lircd.conf file.  The thing is I haven't made any changes to this file
>>> at all since I had things working.  I also re-downloaded the
>>> lircd.conf referenced in the MythTV HD-PVR wiki page, and verified
>>> that it is the same one that I am using.
>>>
>>> At this point I am stumped.  Since the time I had things working there
>>> have been a few kernel updates and also mythtv package updates, so I
>>> guess it is possible that one of these updates is causing the problem.
>>>  But I haven't been able to find any info on this issue, and I have to
>>> believe others have a similar setup.

> [...]
Richard,

Thanks you so much for the response.  I was beginning to think I was
alone with this problem.  I don't have anything fixed yet, but at
least you've given me a few leads to explore.  Obviously something has
changed in the kernel module or the lirc package because as I have
stated I did have this all working.

Thanks again,
John