[mythtv-users] Netflix under MythTV - Update

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 23:05:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Monday 12 April 2010 04:32:06 pm Allen Edwards wrote:
>

> > I am basically stuck.  Again, I ask is anyone using their Myth box to
> watch
> > Netflix with anything short of 100% CPU?
>
> Not quite, but sort of.
>
> I'm watching Netflix by running PlayOn in an XP virtual machine under
> VirtualBox. This is not the same thing as watching it in the VM, but should
> be
> close. PlayOn receives the netflix stream and transcodes it in real time,
> then
> exports it via UPnP, so it should require even more grunt than simply
> watching
> it, because of the added load of transcoding.
>
> Netflix works great with this setup.
>
> The VirtualBox host machine is a pair of Opteron 275s (a total of 4 cores)
> with 16GB of RAM, so it may simply be that my VirtualBox host has more
> grunt
> than yours does.
>
> The XP VM has 2GB of RAM allocated to it.
>
> I'd guess that you need more horsepower and/or RAM in the host machine.
> VirtualBox is very efficient at some things, very inefficient at others.
>
> Have you tried it with XP running on bare iron?

I have not run XP on the bare machine but I am positive it would work given
my test on my normal windows desktop.

I think it is a bug in VirtualBox.  Try running Google Chrome with some
simple site open (no flash). On my setup it uses 50% on the host and
basically nothing on the guest.  I have been googling this and someone says
it is a Real Time Clock Interrupt bug but then again it should have been
fixed by now.  I can think of no reason a static screen with Chrome should
use 50% CPU on the host when the guest is at idle.

You definitely have more HP than I do.

Allen