[mythtv-users] remote control

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 22:01:19 UTC 2010

On 12 April 2010 23:42, also <also at lssystems.at> wrote:
> Hi to all
>
> I read this great documentations and faqs carefully, but I still don't
> understand how the remote control should work.
> The server (backend) with the capture cards is living on the first floor,
> three clients (frontends) are on the fourth and fifth floor. The cabling
> is done with CAT6.
> 2 of this clients should be PS3 with HDMI for TV, one is a HiFi with
> ethernet for mp3 and internetradio.
> "This clients can be diskless and controlled entirely by a remote
> control". It means, mythTV is installed on the server only.
> How does the remote control send the informations to the server and how
> can I control my HiFi? (It is right next to one of the TV)
>
> Thank you for your help
> also

Hi There,

I think you are mixing together two or three questions. Apologies if I
have missunderstood your question.

Myth Topology
Myth comprises a
 - master backend (essentially a backend server + database server)
 - backend server; a mythtv backend server almost always containing
tuner cards or connected to devices that send it a tv signal
 - frontends; the devices that actually turn the compressed tv signal
into an output for display / audio-output.

apart from the master backend (which you must have just 1) you can add
as many of the others as you like.

A frontend can be a piece of software from the mythtv software suite;
or s can be a upnp media renderer or another thirdparty frontend such
as XBMC, MediaPortal; VLC and many others.

A PC based frontend - usually a mythtv software based frontend; can be
network booted. This is a method of not having a hard disc or local
storage; there is a small clever piece of software in the network card
that contacts a server on your network which has an image of a OS
installation on the server hard disc. The remote computer mounts that
image and boots off it; this is not entirely technically correct but
for illustrative processes it'll do.

Remote controls... Remotes fall into a few categories; most people use
Infra-Red controllers; these require line of sight to a receiver unit.
This in turn is connected to the front-end you are trying to control
playback on. There are a few programs to help you do this; but alot of
people use LIRC... its not something I have ever looked at or tried to
setup.

I use wireless keyboards and a PS3 remote which is based on bluetooth
so it can work through walls; so doesn't you dont need a IR receiver
or matter where you point it. I do this with bluez and there is a
tutorial on how to do this on the wiki.

To add complication. LIRC and other programs can be configured to send
network events; so a controller on one controller can control a
computer in another room (or with the power of the Internet; the other
side of the world).

Hope that helps.