[mythtv-users] Netflix under MythTV - Update

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 21:57:50 UTC 2010

This is an update.  I have been trying to get Netflix to work under a button
on MythTV.  The result is very jerky video.  I am running IE under Windows
XP under VirtualBox under Mythbuntu 8.04 on an AMD 5400+ 2G memory.

I have determined that the video is jerky due to the CPU running at 104%
when trying to watch the video.

What I have done:  Installed VirtualBox 3.1 tried alocating 1GB to the base
and 64M to the video, enabled 2d and 3d acceleration.  No difference.  104%
CPU usage

Downloaded a file at 3.2MBPS and it used 20% CPU.  Assuming this is
proportional, I should only be using 10% CPU for the network part of the
streaming at the 1.5MBPS Netflix rate.

Tried ABC.com streaming.  Also over 100% CPU and jerky video

Downloaded and ran a HD Movie trailer that has way more quality than
anything I have ever seen on Netflix.  It looked great, no jerks, and only
50% CPU usage.
http://www.pocketmovies.net/download/shrek-4-shrek-forever-after I used the
mp4 version.

To judge what I had just done, I downloaded the trailer on a Windows machine
that is a little faster than my Myth machine, a Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz.  The
Shreak trailer used up to about 15% CPU and the Netflix movie used up to
25%.

That is really strange.  The Netflix was a lower load on the straight
windows machine but 2x the load on the Virtual machine.

I don't know if Silverlight is used by ABC but if it is the most likely
something that Silverlight wants is not implemented well in VirtualBox.
 Everything else has been ruled out.

Comments?

Allen