[mythtv-users] Comcast DVR - pulling recordings

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 18:29:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM,  <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> > My Comcast signals were encrypted, bye bye clear QAM (still have
> broadcast
> > HD).
> >
> > Trying to figure out how to make value of Myth for PVR functionality now.
> > I'll need a Comcast STB for some signal decoding... trying to figure out
> > the merits of taking the Comcast DVR versus a Comcast STB and investing
> in
> > some other card/IR combo... (I'm in the processing of selling my very
> > functional HDHR dual tuners).
> >
> > What are ppl in similar situation doing with this kind of decision?  At
> > this point, my Myth kit doesn't have much value for PVR.  (yes, music,
> > movies, pictures are all still wonderful benefits of Myth).
>
> I'd suggest keeping the HDHR and using it to record your locals, and
> picking up an HD-PVR or two for your other shows.
>
> On the value of MythTV front, the level of recording control is miles
> ahead of comcast, unless they've done a major upgrade to the DVR
> software in the last 2 years, you can only record once or record all
> episodes of a show. When I say record all episodes  I mean record all
> episodes, it will record every episode whether you've previously
> recorded it or even have it currently recorded, so for TV shows on
> channels that repeat episodes multiple times in a week you'll get
> every repetition. Of course this is 2 year old experience and
> comcast's DVR might be better now.
>
> Another option that I'm investigating is getting an HD box from Comcast and
using the firewire out on that to serve channels to mythtv.  I have the
RNG-110 cable box and the firewire output seems to work in test scenarios.
However, I need to update my Fedora dist to get the firewire working
reliably, and I've been putting that off.
Currently, the firewire output for SD and HD non-premium channels is not
encrypted.  I suppose that could change in the future (hopefully not).
-Greg