[mythtv-users] Mystique SaTiX-S2 Dual PCIe (stv0900 + stv6110)

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Apr 12 14:39:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2010, at 11:26, Andre wrote:
>

>> On 8 Mar 2010, at 02:29, David Kubicek wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> does anybody have these dual cards? I've read about some interference and weak signal issues. How's the Linux support looking up? All features supported, signal stats working?
>>
>> I got a Satix-S2 V2 card earlier in the week and I've been testing it with various Linux software, It's now in my main MythTV system and working well.
>>
>> The driver needs a 2.6.31 kernel, I've used it with 2.6.31-20 and 2.6.33 on Ubuntu 9.10, I found I needed to build the latest (this week) v4l-dvb drivers to have the card recognised but looking in lspci I see the card id is 18c3:db02 not 18c3:db01 so maybe this is added just recently, there is a firmware required too, I just followed the instructions here:
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mystique_SaTiX-S2_Dual
>>
>> The card appears as /dev/dvb/adaptor0/ with frontend 0 & 1 like a HVR-4000 but difference is you can use frontend0 & frontend1 at the same time. MythTV identified both frontends and worked fine with DVBS & S2 no problems, I set a tuning delay of 500ms based on some linux-media posts I read but I don't think it is needed as the tuner tunes must faster than the HVR-4000. I was able to record 6 HD shows across the two tuners with some small glitches as the recordings start but clean after a second or two, very nice :-)
>>
>> I found a useful module option that makes two separate adaptor devices instead of one, I was testing with TV Headend and it doesn't recognise /frontend1 :-(   so: "options ngene one_adapter=0" makes it create two separate devices, might be useful to know.
>>
>> Only been running two days in MythTV but no lost recordings and no glitching (that I've noticed) yet, so far it works better than my HVR-4000 and HD-S2 which glitch once or twice in a 1 hour show.  Didn't have to re-scan, picked up and worked with my HVR-4000 source for all channels. I do have a very strong sat signal so don't know about sensitivity or reliability with a weaker signal.
>
> Further Satix S2 V2 Dual update:
>
> Working very well, very very occasional glitch when recording > 4 HD programmes across both tuners, multirec overlaps etc. otherwise reliable and giving better results than my HVR-4000. About to be promoted up the capture card list above the HVR-4000.
>
> Andre

Be forewarned:  there are significant problems with this card when
doing capture on both inputs simultaneously.  Be prepared for timeouts
when starting streams and sometimes waiting tens of seconds for
streaming to start (it's an issue with the ngene bridge chipset).

You can read more about it on the linux-media mailing list.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com