[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu stalling with HDD light solid

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Mon Apr 12 12:29:19 UTC 2010

Aaron Whitehouse wrote:

> On a few occasions when it has stalled, I have killed mythbackend
> (sudo stop mythtv-backend) and the system continues stalling for
> another couple of minutes. I had decided that the problem could be the
> hard drive itself, because I would get a lot of stalls whenever it was
> accessing

That would be my guess.  What does dmesg|grep -i dma show?

Sounds like the drive is going bad, you'll probably see a lot of dma
timeouts.  You may want to install smartmontools and use:

  smartctl -H /dev/sd(x) (Or whatever your drive is mapped to)

  smartctl --all /dev/sd(x)

And see if the drive is reporting errors.

Doug

--

Ben Franklin quote: