[mythtv-users] My mom wants a DVR...

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 15:44:18 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 9:00 AM, Jeff Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've had MythTV .21 running since last fall, and has been going well (good
> WAF!) with our simple setup.  I moved to it from a nice DVR due to no
> digital tuner in it (US OTA).
>
> My mother has asked me to get her a DVR for her nice 42" HDTV.  It needs to
> have a digital tuner (US OTA) and prefer HDD.  Naturally, I'd like to use
> Myth.  However, she doesn't have a "convenient" setup for it (TV is in a
> "loft" area, no computer around).  Additionally, I'm afraid of time
> requirement to support a second Myth system (I have difficulty just making
> time to upgrade mine!).  So I've been looking into other stand-alone ideas
> and traditional DVRs.
>
> I've been to some brick stores, online stores, Googled around, and have not
> found a DVR that has HDD, digital tuner, HD output.  It seems "pick your two
> features" exist, but not all three?  Anyone know of one?
>
> I also tried to find a "device", but other than Tivo, what is there?
>
> How have others solved the "remote TV location" problem without wires for a
> computer-based solution?
>
> What ideas do you have/what would you do?

Acer Aspire Revo mounted on the VESA mounting plate, with a USB
ATSC/ClearQAM stick. As the retail boxed version of the Revo comes with
a wireless keyboard and mouse already, you've got the remote issue
covered (Though you could use a USB MCE remote for higher MAF). If more
storage than the on-board 160GB is needed, an NAS somewhere else in the
house would work fine, and as the Revo has built-in 802.11g (IIRC) you
should be okay for bandwidth. If not, an external USB HDD would be easy
enough to add.