[mythtv-users] Audio volume is low

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Sun Apr 11 02:22:26 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010, at 4:54 AM, Mark Adams wrote:

> The audio is cabled out of the onboard sound's line out to the audio inputs on the TV (42" RCA LCD flat panel), then into an RCA RT238 home theater amp. via L and R Audio outs on the TV (no SPDIF). Everything works in terms of the volume and mute controls in MythTV -- I just can't get suitable amplitude out of the system even with the volume in MythTV cranked to 100%. I believe this to be a MythTV issue because everything else works just fine.
>
> Can somebody point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Mark

2 places to check:

The internal mythtv mixer - this seems to be the place to go first. I had the same inconsistencies between mythtv and other apps sound output on the box until I set the internal mixer to 100% on both master and pcm - even 95% made a huge difference to the end result

Utilities/Setup->Setup->General->Audio: set all volume controls to maximum

Next would be alsamixer - run it from a term and again set the settings for your Master and PCM high - I think mine are at around 98%, as I found the extra 1 or 2 % caused a bit of distortion

hth

John Haywood