[mythtv-users] Audio volume is low

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 20:11:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Mark Adams <madams9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings.  I was hoping someone could help me with a small issue I'm
> having.
>
> I'm running MythTV ver 0.22 under Mandriva 2010 installed from Mandriva's
> RPM repositories. Hardware includes:
> Wolfdale1333-D667 mainboard
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
> 1GiB RAM
> Onboard 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
> G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] Video adapter
> And of course a some other stuff.
>
> The system installed smoothly and works well with the exception of audio
> volume. Audio for VLC, Dragon Player, Kaffeine, Amarok, Audacious2, Firefox,
> and everything else I've found is fine, however, MythTV requires that I
> crank the audio at the amplifier to near 100% to get an acceptable level on
> any media of any type.
>
> The audio is cabled out of the onboard sound's line out to the audio inputs
> on the TV (42" RCA LCD flat panel), then into an RCA RT238 home theater amp.
> via L and R Audio outs on the TV (no SPDIF). Everything works in terms of
> the volume and mute controls in MythTV -- I just can't get suitable
> amplitude out of the system even with the volume in MythTV cranked to 100%.
> I believe this to be a MythTV issue because everything else works just fine.
>
> Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I have a similar problem under MythTV-0.22/Fedora 12 and previously under
MythTV-0.21/CentOS 5.x.  Cranking the volume up also increases the
background hum; so I'd love to be able to solve the problem at the source,
which seems to be the recordings.  I have noticed that firewire and OTA-HD
recordings are quieter than PVR-500 recordings, which suggests to me that in
my case, it might be an issue with the 5.1 surround being downconverted to
stereo.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good solutions at the moment.  I'm about to
install a GT210 with an HDMI port, so maybe piping a proper HD audio (i.e.
5.1?) rather than 2-channel stereo will help.