[mythtv-users] [Mostly OT] Comcast/net neutrality ruling - NY Times Online

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Sat Apr 10 18:03:50 UTC 2010

On 4/9/2010 12:25 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> When the government grants a monopoly, which is sometimes
> >  necessary in cases where competition is impractical, then it has an
> >  obligation to regulate it so that the consumers don't get screwed.
> >  Clearly the government has failed in this obligation with regard to
> >  cable TV.
Thought I would chip in a  bit because a statement such as this could be
misleading... When one looks at the FCC and the reason it came into
existence as a regulatory agency, it was during a time in which most
electronic communication was taking place using a limited public
resource - the RF spectrum of transmission over the public airways. In
this environment it is very easy to understand why the public has an
interest in seeing that this resource be regulated. The FCC was tasked
to regulate this resource to make sure our nation complied with
international treaties such as WARC and to insure that the spectrum was
used in a fashion best suited for the public good. The extent and
meaning of this so called "pubic good" has been debated, extended and
restricted over the years by various administrations, congresses and the
courts and never been really nailed down. Just follow the role of the
FCC in what is commonly known as "Part 15 compliance" as an example of
how this definition of "public good" has been funded and tweaked over
the years...

But the real basis for having the FCC has been the regulation of the
usage of a limited public resource. In this particular court ruling, in
my own eyes and in the opinion of many others, the court has badly
error-ed in not recognizing that cable companies, like OTA (over the
air) communications, are in fact using public resources in order to
deliver their programming and internet content. Cable companies have
long been trying to argue that since they own the cable, they should not
be subjected to regulation by the FCC. This is an attempt on their part
to obfuscate and end run the FCC's ability to regulate them. But it is
not the cable itself, which the cable companies rightfully own as they
bore the cost of laying it down, but in the usage of public lands (city
streets, highways etc which is one of the limited resources that
requires regulation and oversight) through which the cable companies
have been granted exclusive/monopolistic access, that brings the public
interest back into the picture. I should also mention that even for
cable companies, OTA transmission is still involve when it comes to
ground to satellite, or microwave tower to tower communication. And
because the public interest is still involved, the FCC should continue
to regulate and control the content of what the cable and telephone
companies transmit over THEIR cables through PUBLIC lands, or OTA
to/from satellites and towers on the public's behalf.

So while cable and other internet service providers might be complaining
about some users using excessive bandwidth, and having to provide
servers and routers etc to handle such traffic, that really is no
different than TV and radio stations having to supply their own hardware
to transmit with. TV and radio stations can decide to a large part what
content they want to provide their users, but at the same time they have
always been tasked with providing a certain amount of public interest
services as well, in exchange for their exclusive grant to use a
particular frequency(ies). In this same sense, I see no difference in
the FCC's requirement to maintain net neutrality as the price that cable
companies must pay, to benefit the public interest, in exchange for
their usage of public resources. It is up to the FCC and Congress, not
the cable and telephone companies, that the task of deciding what is
fair usage of these internet resources, should fall. And it should be
the FCC's responsibility and prerogative to decide what is acceptable
usage and whether for example programs like BitTorrent and other file
sharing operations should be allowed or not. It is the FCC's charter to
protect and regulate the usage of public resources and Congress to
decide exactly what laws are necessary. For the court to say that a
private cable company has the right to decide how public resources can
be used, and the FCC doesn't, is very dangerous and unprecedented and we
citizens should be raising a real stink about it!  IMHO that is...

     Marc..

--
Marc Chamberlin
  www.marcchamberlin.com

  A man said unto the universe - "Sir I Exist!"
  "However" replied the universe
  "I do not see where that creates in me a sense of
  an obligation" S Crane.