[mythtv-users] Biggest Mythtv setup

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:00:14 UTC 2010

On 10 April 2010 15:11, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
> Another Sillyname wrote:
>>
>> 1 x Backend - 1.6TB dedicated just to recordings
>> 4 x Actual DVB-T Tuners (2 x Nova 500) acting as 8 Virtual Tuners
>> 3 x Actual DVB-S2 Tuners (2 x DVB-S2 + 1 x HVR 2200 ) acting as 6 Virtual
>> Tuners
>> 5 x HTPC dedicated Frontends and a further 4 Dell M1530 laptops used
>> as floating Frontends
>> 1 x Media Server (most recordings are nuvexport'd off and dumped in
>> this library) with 6.5TB in Raid6
>> Assorted Axis Cameras integrated using Zoneminder
>> Most of the network is Gigabit over Cat5e but some 100mb
>>

> How'd you get so many tuner cards in one backend?  I like your zoneminder
> setup.  I do that too.

P5WDG2 Pro, it's a Workstation Mobo  2 x PCI, 2 x PCI-X (being used as
PCI), 2 x PCI-E and I got the setup wrong above (sorry got confused
about what cards were in the unit)

The Nova 500 is a PCI Dual Tuner so there's 2 DVB-T Tuners (4
Virtual), the PCI-E slot mounts a HVR-2200 Dual Tuner so there's the
other 2 DVB-T Tuners (4 Virtual). the other PCI slot and the 2 x PCI-X
slots house the 3 Hauppauge DVB-S2 cards.

The one I'm currently building is based on a P6T7 workstation Mobo
with 7 PCI-E slots and will have 2 x HVR 2200 PCI-E Dual Tuners for 4
actual (8 virtual) tuners and the other 4 PCI-E slots with likely have
TBS 6980 Dual DVB-S2 tuners so 8 actual (16 Virtual) tuners....the
last PCI-E slot is for the graphics card.  The Virtual tuners on
DVB-S(2) are rarely used due to the way the transmission mux's are
configured so you really only get to use the actual tuners usually on
DVB-S(2).  I'm just waiting for the TBS 6980 drivers to be properly
GPL'd rather then as a half lack which they are currently.

I know many people will say it's overkill to have such a high spec on
the backend but the advantage of being able to do all my transcoding
of multiple recordings simultaneously on one box before spooling off
to the media server makes it much more sensible for me.

We ran a thread a few months back and reckoned there's only maybe
10-12 users running single backends that combine DVB-T and DVB-S.