[mythtv-users] HD-PVR input issues:

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sat Apr 10 02:05:54 UTC 2010

John P Poet wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
>
>>> KERNEL=="video*", ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPG",
>>> ATTRS{device}=="0x244e"  , SYMLINK+="pvr150"
>>>
>>> KERNEL=="video*", ATTR{name}=="Hauppauge HD PVR",
>>> ATTRS{vendor}=="0x8086", SYMLINK+="hdpvr"
>>>
>>> KERNEL=="dvb*.frontend*", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x13d0", SYMLINK+="frontend0"
>>>
>>> These are my rules they are placed in a folder under
>>> etc/udev/60-simlinks.rules
>>>
>>> I then stop the backend,run mythtv-setup..Under video cards instead of
>>> /dev/video0 put, /dev/hdpvr..reboot or restart UDEV and it should make
>>> your simlink to your hdpvr...
>>> Ubuntu has a script that is available that will figure all this out for
>>> you,but I don't know if it will work under arch...
>>>

>> I pulled the HDPVR off the backend, went to a windows computer and
>> installed the latest drivers, which supposedly installed the latest
>> firmware (not sure), then put it back onto the backend.
>>
>> I still get this during a cat /dev/video4 > test.ts:
>>
>> [root at cyclops mythtv]# cat /dev/video4 > test.ts
>> cat: write error: Bad address
>>

> Are you using the udev rule that greg posted?  If so, you should be
> using /dev/hdpvr, not /dev/video4.
>
> Each time your system boots, it is possible that the HD-PVR could be
> attached to a different /dev/videoX.  The udev rule results in a
> mapping of whatever /dev/videoX the HD-PVR is on, to the name
> /dev/hdpvr, so that myth (or whatever) can reliably talk to it.
>

> John

No, I'm not using the udev rule yet.  I haven't yet fully understood how
udev works on arch to implement it.

I'm more concerned that since when i plug it in it registers as
/dev/video4 and I try to cat a file to test.ts it won't talk.  that used
to work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it won't talk to the hdpvr at the lowest
level, it surely wont talk to it as a symlink?

The most basic test of the device is to plug in a component cable, and
try to capture directly off the device, and it still won't work.
That tells me there's something deeper wrong with the install.