[mythtv-users] netflix + myth 0.23

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 9 23:05:04 UTC 2010

On Friday 09 April 2010 03:07:28 pm jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:00:10PM -0000, Yan Seiner wrote:
> > On Thu, April 8, 2010 1:44 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> > > On the plus side, the success of the dedicated hardware units (like the
> > > Roku
> > > player) should prove to the program suppliers that Linux can "protect"
> > > their
> > > content as well as any other OS, and that Linux is not just a pirate
> > > tool.
> >
> > I am considering a Roku.... Can someone who owns one please clue me in on
> > the bandwidth requirements?  I apparently live in the digital
> > hinterlands. I currently get 1.7 up/1.7 down; I can get "up to" 7 mb/sec
> > down but I only get 896kb/sec up - and I pay more.
> >
> > I'll settle for SD if I can get it with the bandwidth I have.
>
>     I can't speak to the bandwidth because I don't have the instrumentation
> in place. However, based on my own personal experience you might want to
>  opt for one of the game consoles rather than the roku box. At least as far
>  as Netflix streaming goes, the Wii version seems to have more interesting
>  browsing options and no discernable drop in quality for the stuff I've
>  been streaming so far.

As for Gaming consoles, the XBox 360 with the PlayOn server works well for
Netflix, as well as Hulu, CBS, and a LOT of other services. No monthly charge
(except for the Netflix fee) to get Netflix, so don't go with the XBOX Gold or
whatever they call it, sending a monthly check to MS is not the way to go.
PlayOn is a one-time charge of $30 or so, and they often run sales.