[mythtv-users] MythWeb says recording LiveTV - but no FE on

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Apr 9 17:09:12 UTC 2010

Brad Fuller wrote:
> I googled this, couldn't find an answer.
> MythWeb>>Backend Status says:
>
> Encoder 7 is local on killtivo and is watching Live TV 'Rachael Ray'
> on KPIX-DT. This recording is scheduled to end at 10:00 AM.
>
> But, there is no FE watching, in fact there is no FE even on. Is there
> a way I can trace where the FE would be or who asked the BE to record?
> Doesn't seem to be a bogus display as I saw the recording program
> change at the hour.

This can happen if a front-end dies. I mean dies in the technical sense, the
user might just think that (s)he switched it off properly. In this case, the
back end will just keep recording program after program onto disk - and then
expiring them shortly afterwards.

I had this happen to me late one evening, and I didn't find out about it until I
did my standard system checks late the following morning. The last program shown
recorded by mythweb was 11 hours long and some humongous number of gigabytes!
The selected channel closed down overnight and the damn thing just kept recording.

I'm a little more careful now. Your Family May Vary.

--

Mike Perkins