[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 on Lucid 10.04

Jim jim at electron.phys.dal.ca
Fri Apr 9 14:58:33 UTC 2010

Nicolas Will wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 15:04 +1000, Chris Adams wrote:
>>> Problem is that I forgot I was using a bluetooth keyboard so about
>> 90% of
>>> the way through the upgrade a dialogue box re. some postgres setting
>> pops
>>> up. Yup my bluetooth keyboard had been
>>> disconnected through the upgrade procedure and I was dead in the
>> water.. it
>>> wouldn't even accept a usb keyboard to let the process finish.
>> It's too late now of course, but I wish you asked the list about
>> getting into the box - I would've been glad for the chance to help you
>> out :-)
>> If it happens again, you can run x11vnc over ssh then VNC to the box
>> and control it remotely. Assuming your X is on ":0" it'd be something
>> like:
>> $ sudo apt-get install x11nc; DISPLAY=:0 screen -d x11vnc
> Or simply perform the do-release-update inside a screen session that you
> can recover in many ways.
> Also, an interrupted upgrade can always be recovered, even after a
> reboot, it just involves a bit of manual package cleanup after the fact.
> If the system is in such a state that it doesn't reboot, boot on a live
> CD, mount the local disks on the side, chroot into that, restart the
> upgrade, finish it, exit the chroot, unmount, reboot normally.
> Nico
Yes the chroot is an interesting option but hopefully no one will be
dumb enough to  start the upgrade from a bluetooth keyboard :/

Chris:  Thanks,  vnc was the first thing that I did try  but  no go, it
probably would have worked if I had started it as you suggested but with
"vncserver" it died, even with the new system upgraded and working 10.04
wouldn't start vncserver till a bad option was commented out of the
config file left over from 9.10 (discovered this once 10.04 was running
or the vnc route would have worked)

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University
Department of Physics and Atmospheric Science
Dunn 207, Lord Dalhousie Drive
Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada B3H3J5
Office (902)494-3449
Email jim at electron.phys.dal.ca