[mythtv-users] 0.21 and 0.22 servers on the same network?

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:14:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > I /think/ it's also possible that you may have an issue on an
> > already-configured system when the database server specified by
> > mysql.txt/config.xml is not running and the application tries to fall
> back
> > to UPnP to find the backend and its database (since it assumes you moved
> > it).  That leads to http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7799 .  But,
> again, in
> > an interactive environment, it will always prompt before doing anything.
> >

> And if it's prompting Michael Dean then it gets the right answer. If

At one point I was running my 'production' environment on 0.21 and was
testing trunk (what was to become 0.22) on another machine.  So on my trunk
box, I dropped my DB to completely start from scratch.  And when I fired up
mythtv-setup, I was prompted me for 'permission' to update the database.
 Well, I didn't really 'read' the message, but just 'assumed' it was
complaining that it had to create the DB from scratch, and blindly pressed
'enter'. When the update was taking a while, I looked at the logs and in
horror saw the IP address of my 'production' backend!!!

So I can see the benefit of turning off the UPnP server...  Granted, if I
had taken the time to actually READ the upgrade message box carefully before
allowing it to proceed, I wouldn't have had the issue, but it's cheap
'insurance'...

J-e-f-f-A