[mythtv-users] [Mostly OT] Comcast/net neutrality ruling - NY Times Online

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:36:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 April 2010 01:59:26 pm Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>> Members of Congress have expressed concern that the acquisition could
>> give Comcast the power to favor the content of its own cable and
>> broadcast channels over those of competitors, something that Comcast
>> has said it does not intend to do. Now, members of Congress could also
>> fret that Comcast will also block or slow down customers’ access to
>> the Web sites of competing television and telecommunications
>> companies.
>
> Saying you "do not intend" to do something is not the same as saying you will
> not do it.
>
> I'm certain that if it would garner them a penny of additional profit (or even
> if they just thought it might), they would do it in a micro-second.
>

>> In a statement, the F.C.C. said it remained “firmly committed to
>> promoting an open Internet.” While the court decision invalidated its
>> current approach to that goal, the agency said, “the court in no way
>> disagreed with the importance of providing a free and open Internet,
>> nor did it close the door to other methods for achieving this
>> important end.”
>
> The problem is the FCC's mandate concerns the "public airwaves", and the
> internet is neither public, nor in general airwaves.
>
> I would think that the anti-monopoly laws would preclude Comcast's intentions,
> FCC or not, but corporate America seems to think that monopolies are a good
> thing.
>
> Allowing Comcast to purchase NBC should be totally illegal, but we all know it
> will happen.

Boy you're not kidding.  Who *doesn't* see a problem with a
corporation mainly centered around pay TV buying one of the few major
broadcasters of free OTA TV?  But you're probably right...the free
marketeers will push it through under some flimsy conditions that they
have to continue airing the free network.  Then of course in time
they'll just stop airing anything worth a damn on the OTA
station...queue the free marketeers again...preaching about how it's
their choice as to what they air on what station....I can just hear it
all now....

One can only hope that this ruling will give someone with some sense
more reason to question that merger.

Tom