[mythtv-users] Dropping video frames?

James Thorpe james at tfxsoft.com
Thu Apr 8 09:47:05 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I've got an issue (both under 0.22-fixes and also 0.23-RC1 after
upgrading last week) whereby the picture isn't smooth.  It's not
stuttering - the sound is fine - it almost looks like it's dropping
frames to keep up.  I don't see anything in the frontend log, and it's
constantly happening, not on and off.  Happens on all channels, both HD
(BBC HD on freesat) and SD.

I'm using a Revo 3600 with 2gb of RAM (512mb configured for video) and
VDPAU.  Happens on both Slim & Normal profiles.  Videos are coming from
a remote backend over a 100mbs wired network with little other traffic.

Just wondering where I should start looking to diagnose what may be the
issue, or if there are any custom filters etc I should try that may
help?  This seems to be the final thing holding back full acceptance of
Myth in our house!

Thanks for any advice,
James.