[mythtv-users] How do I replace gnome desktop with a lightweight window manager?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Apr 4 18:56:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 00:28 +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I've just reinstalled my MythTV 0.22 combined backend/frontend on
> Fedora 12 (it used to be CentOS). But when it boots up it goes into
> what I think is gnome-desktop rather than running mythwelcome. I don't
> understand why that is and it's not what I want. I want it to boot
> into a more lightweight window manager like openbox.

You don't actually.  That you need a window manager at all is, IMHO (and
MHO comes from 5+ years of experience with Myth as my primary and only
TV watching experience and 20+ years of experience with X11 systems) a
myth itself (pun intended).  In all of the time I have run Myth I have
not used a window manager and have never had any problems.  And that
even includes the time when mythvideo was spawning an external
application like mplayer.

> Here's my
> /home/mythtv/.xsession

> # Run mythwelcome which starts mythfrontend
> mythwelcome &

Actually try it.  Remove the & from the above and the exec to openbox
below.  I guess you'd probably also want to exec mythwelcome.

But you will first have get gnome out of your way.  Sorry, not sure how
to do that.  Personally, I just never bother installing it all.  Linux +
Xorg + *myth*.

b.