[mythtv-users] How do I replace gnome desktop with a lightweight window manager?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 15:43:48 UTC 2010

> I've just reinstalled my MythTV 0.22 combined backend/frontend on
> Fedora 12 (it used to be CentOS). But when it boots up it goes into
> what I think is gnome-desktop rather than running mythwelcome. I don't
> understand why that is and it's not what I want. I want it to boot
> into a more lightweight window manager like openbox. Here's my
> /home/mythtv/.xsession:
> How do I get it to start what I've put in my .xsession and not go into
> gnome-desktop?

Looks like I've really barfed my system now. I removed gnome-desktop
in an attempt to stop it being loaded. That caused problems so I
reinstalled it. Now when my machine boots it flashes through the GDM
auto login for around 3 times and then goes to a grey screen which is
a Blackbox window manager. Once in there I can't run anything
(right-clicking to get a menu and chossing rxvt or xterm does
nothing).

I really don't understand where X11 gets its scripts from to know what
window manager to run etc. I've seen some posts that talk about
.xsession files being ignored now by gdm. Can someone please give me
to pointers on how to sort this under under Fedora 12.

Regards,
Phill