[mythtv-users] USB over IP

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Apr 4 14:46:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:58:05AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday 02 April 2010 11:40:58 am jedi wrote:
> > >
> > > If sufficiently beefy your second backend could be your hot spare in
> > > case of hardware failure.  With religious backups of your database and
> > > some scripting, you could get your restoration of service time to a
> > > few minutes.   Get 5 nines (99.999%) WAF. :-)
> >
> >     I use the extra space on my frontend and backend boxes for all manner
> > of backups. With even a Revo you will end up with over 100G of free space
> > since Linux and MythTV take up so little.
>
> That's on a very slow 2.5" drive, and may not be the best place to store
> video, but for some backups it might be OK, if you trust those little drives.

   I've seen those little drives outlast the laptops they came with. So those
little drives aren't necessarily a problem. The fact that whatever I am backing
up can be cloned n+1 times is the really interesting part.

[deletia]

   The bigger larger drives seem to have all of the interesting problems these
days.