[mythtv-users] 0.23 and sound

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat Apr 3 08:51:55 UTC 2010

> Hi
>
> On 3 April 2010 17:49, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
>> So the question: why do I need to upconvert to 5.1 to play music?  Is
>> this expected?  I'm a sound neophyte so don't overwhelm me with details.
>
> Well, it shouldn't be required...
>
> If in Stereo, MythTV would output PCM
>
> If upconvert is selected it will output Dolby Digital 5.1
>
> It could be that your amplifier doesn't support PCM ; that would be
> surprising however.
>
> But that you had the same issue with both 0.21 and 0.22 ; it sounds
> like the most likely thing.

I've had a similar experience with 0.23 MythMusic in that I only get sound
with upconvert to 5.1 is checked. In my case however, MythMusic has always
worked fine in 0.21 and 0.22.

To get any sound with the music plugin with the upconvert unchecked I have
to set the maximum number of channels to 2 in the main audio setup - it
appears that I can't have my (TV & video upconvert) cake and eat it too!!

Other similarities to the OP are that I'm also using ALSA:default as the
output device, and ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 } as the passthrough device.

--
Robin Gilks