[mythtv-users] 0.23 and sound

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Sat Apr 3 06:49:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

Just went from 0.22 to 0.23 (mythbuntu; system status says r23923).
Everything is great.  I know 0.23 isn't released yet, but it looks like
a good job by the developers.  I especially like the new sound
configuration.  I do have a question about it.  Up until 0.23 I've never
consistently been able to get mythmusic to play my music files (ogg's
mostly).  Or, better, mythmusic plays them but I never hear the music.
With 0.21 it was inconsistent.  Some times it worked other times it did
not.  With 0.22 I don't recall it ever working.  At first with 0.23 it
seemed it was going to be the same as 0.22, but I discovered the
"Upconvert to 5.1" option and now I can hear the music when I am using
mythmusic.

So the question: why do I need to upconvert to 5.1 to play music?  Is
this expected?  I'm a sound neophyte so don't overwhelm me with details.
:-)  In Setup / General I set sound to ALSA:default.  I have the speaker
configuration set to surround5.1, upconvert to 5.1 is unchecked, digital
output device is ALSA:iec958:{ AESO 0x02 }.  My mythbox connects to my
amp via an optical cable.  In Setup / Music / General the Audio device
is default and upconvert to 5.1 is checked.  I have an .asoundrc but
I removed it and it seemed to have no effect whatsover on any sound
playing (for music or TV).

Thanks.
--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org