[mythtv-users] Hauppage HD-PVR Driver, MythTV, or not enough grunt...

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Apr 3 04:46:44 UTC 2010

> When I use MythTV, I'm problems with the video stuttering - more or less on
> a 2-3 second cycle.  It runs, gets worse, stops, and continues.  It does
> appear that both cores on my MythTV box are getting 100% utilization -
> though I"m not sure if that's because the cores are actually getting used,
> or if it's just that I don't have "enough" CPU to both record and watch TV.
>  (Because playback of a recording _outside_ of MythTV seems to work great).
>
> Since MythTV is new to me, I just wanted to see if MythTV normally used up
> 100% of the CPU, whether it needs it or not (I've seen programs like that),
> or if it's just that I don't have enough "grunt" (or in other words, enough
> CPU, given I'm running 1080p video and have a Core2 Duo @ 2GHz.)

I had the same problem just yesterday after doing some tweaking.... I had to
re-enable "extra audio buffering" in the tv playback setup screens.

I am not sure this will solve your problem, as my CPU wasn't pegged, I don't
think.

I would try and disable any deinterlacing and see if that solves your
problem.  Deinterlacing can use a substantial percentage of CPU cycles and
is likely the culprit.