[mythtv-users] How to check status of HD-PVR

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Apr 2 20:35:45 UTC 2010

>  Once every few weeks or so, one of my HD-PVR’s will become unresponsive,
> requiring me to reset the offending HD-PVR.  I would like to be able to
> programmatically check the status of my HD-PVR’s, and reset them if needed.
> I’m thinking of using an X10 device to do the actual resetting.
>

> My problem is, how do I check if it’s healthy?  Trying to read from it
> causes problems if it’s currently recording in MythTV.  I think I have two
> choices:
>

> 1.       Try to find a way to check its health that won’t interfere with
> MythTV when it’s recording.
>
> 2.       Only check its health when MythTV isn’t using the device.  I
> would need to find a way to know when MythTV is using it.

 Simple... write a bash script that hdhomerun_config to check the signal
status of both tuners... if neither is tuned to a channel, the script can
tune one then check again.

If Mythtv happens to be using the tuner at the time, just checking the
signal strength will not interrupt it.

The script should only take seconds to run... just have it start odd times
when shows are not likely to be starting/stopping... say every 3 hours on
the 21 minute mark... odds are that if the tuner is in use it will be for
several minutes, while if it is not, no show will be starting for several
minutes.

This solution depends, of course, on the hdhomerun not reporting signal
strenth when it is "unresponsive"