[mythtv-users] USB over IP

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Apr 2 15:43:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:59:51PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 4/1/2010 15:40, Joseph Fry wrote:
> >

> >        I am getting to great a concentration of devices in my media
> >        center and am attempting to decentralize. Has any one tried to
> >        use the hvr-1900 or pvrusb2 over a USB network server? Like
> >        the keyspan us-4a or the Belkin USB hub?
> >

> >    MythTV already performs this function.  Just attach the tuners to
> >    a second computer, and run the backend on it.
> >
> >Ha ha ha... $100 keyspan running off a wallwart... vs a pc with
> >software to maintain and moving parts to fail.  While I agree that
> >it's nice to be able to extend the system by adding backends, it's
> >not always the best method.
>
> For $100, you would be much better off buying a SheevaPlug, and
> building some stripped down install for its 512MB of flash.  I would
> never suggest putting your SQL server, and MBE on there, but it
> should do fine as an SBE with USB tuners.

    Even a Revo would probably be a better option. The idea that it will
somehow "go poof" before the walwart will is a bit hysterical. Unless you
are specifically courting disaster with 1.5TB Seagate drives, there's no
reason to not expect the PC to outlast the USB devices attached to it.

[deletia]

    My backend boxes chug along until there is a reason to upgrade MythTV
itself. They're Unix boxes. So the idea that they need to be fussed over
is a bit silly.