[mythtv-users] OT: Audio components

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Fri Apr 2 04:54:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Josh White wrote:

> I'm trying to design an audio system for a restaurant, and they want 3
> zones of mono sound.  I'm looking for something that I could input stereo
> audio, and output 3 mono signals that combines the stereo input from a
> netbook running iTunes.  I'm planning to use 3 "V-12M Muting Wall Mount
> Volume Control" units
> from(http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=37244640&source=ecostdeal&cm_mmc=CSE-
> _-Shopping.com-_-ecostdeal-_-Electronics) to independently adjust the
> volume in the three zones (back room, front room, outside).  My plan is to
> find a home theater 5.1 surround system that I can set to output a mono
> signal to at least 3 of the channels, and then run them through the
> independent volume

How many speakers per zone ?

Because if it's just three speakers, any old-school amp with a mono switch
and dual speaker outs would work (2 stereo outputs = 4 mono speakers).

If this is your standard small mom-and-pop shop where you typically see a
beat-up old stereo behind the register, then you're set;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350334276696

If it's anything bigger -- well, they are cheap, buy two for when it blows
out. :-) (However, I have a similar model to this one, and it's a great amp,
complete with talkover mike. In fact my Myth system is connected to it).