[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 and LIRC setting up

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Apr 1 03:16:54 UTC 2010

On 3/31/2010 5:42 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> On 3/31/2010 5:20 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>> On 3/31/2010 2:54 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> I also fail at reading. You said you were getting key presses, just
>>> not into mythtv. However...
>> Sorry for the confusion Jarod - I haven't gotten as far as getting
>> mythtv configured for running from a remote yet... Trying to take
>> baby steps to get there, so right now I am focused on getting the
>> lirc daemon to at least recognize the key presses from my Hauppauge
>> remote... And so far, using either ircat or irw I can only see that
>> it is responding to just the numeric and volume up/down keys. None of
>> the other keys, for example channel up/down produce any response yet...
>>
>> (This project will get even more interesting too... I got two other
>> remotes that I am going to want lirc to handle for me as well, but
>> one remote at a time....)
>>> ...your dmesg output shows ir-kbd-i2c binding to the ir receiver, not
>>> lirc_i2c. That makes a significant difference. The
>>> lircd.conf.hauppauge config file is for use with lirc_i2c. For
>>> ir-kbd-i2c, assuming the key map is correct for your remote, you'd
>>> need to use lircd.conf.devinput, and tell lircd to use its devinput
>>> driver mode pointed at the appropriate /dev/input/foo, rather than
>>> using its default driver mode (lirc kernel driver) pointed at
>>> /dev/lirc0.
>>>
>> Ok now you lost me! And I apologize for my beginners ignorance.  What
>> is a key map?  Is that the .lircrc file that I have to set up for
>> mythTV?   Over in the /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput directory I
>> found a file named lircd.conf.devinput, is this the file I should
>> copy to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf?
>>
>> I am using SuSE 11.2 which comes with a tool called YaST that has a
>> utility to configure the TV card and part of that sets up the
>> configuration for the lirc daemon. This configuration file is located
>> at /etc/sysconfig/lirc  and I noted that YaST configured the
>> LIRC_MODULE="ir_kbd_i2c" but it sets the LIRCD_DRIVER="/dev/lircd"
>> Under /dev I see a link for lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd and  under
>> /dev/input I see a number of devices (event0 event1 ... event7 ir (ir
>> is a link to event7) mice mouse) and sub directories (by-id by-path)
>> whose purpose I don't comprehend....  Should I point the LIRCD_DRIVER
>> to one of these?
>>
>> Thanks again for your patience and help...   Marc..
>>

> Oh boy, now my confusion level just deepened! I thought I was getting
> output indications from my Hauppauge remote when I was running IRCAT
> or IRW...  But I just accidentally discovered that in fact I get these
> indications of a key press from the remote in a plain shell. In other
> words the few keys that seem to work, act as if they are simply the
> same as pressing the corresponding key on a real keyboard! So I am
> guessing that this "key map" config file, whatever that is (help?)
> must somehow map all the buttons of the Hauppauge remote into either
> [...]
More weirdness! Googling around I found some suggestions to see if the
low level scan and key codes for the Hauppauge remote are being seen and
what they are. These tools included xev which can be ran from an X11
terminal and showkey -s  and showkey -k run from a tty console. While
each of these show more responses to button presses on the remote, than
I had seen with IRCAT or IRW , none of the three versions showed the
same set of keys being seen! And none showed responses for all the keys.
For example the channel up button would show a response for showkey -k
but not for showkey -s or xev! Go figure!

    Marc...