[mythtv-users] expansible and powersaving motherboard for backend??

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Sep 30 14:40:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Manu <eallaud at gmail.com> wrote:

>        Hi all,
> I am looking for a good motherboard with ideally: 2 gbit network, sata
> (not too much 2 is ok, 4 is perfect), and a couple CPU/Chipset very
> quiet and using very little power (I guess atom would be perfect), plus
> I'd need at least 1 or 2 PCI and 1 or 2 PCI-e slots as I plan to put
> all my tv cards in it so that I dont have to run sat and tv cable all
> around the house.
> I found several small atom boards, but with no a too little pci slots
> (in general just one which is too little for me). I would like to avoid
> to have to buy 2 motherboards!

Atom boards are designed to be small form factor, so will likely only have 1
PCI slot. And I seem to remember hearing that Intel doesn't allow
manufacturers to make full size/feature boards with Atom chips. What size
PCIe do you need? For TV cards, x1 is probably enough. Check for micro-ATX
boards, I have a couple with enough slots for what you are talking about.
Asus M2NPV-VM and M3N78 IIRC. Add a low power CPU and you're good to go. Not
too many have multiple ethernet onboard in micro-ATX though. Do you really
need 2 network ports? You could always add another port with a PCI or PCIe
card I guess. There are a fair number of standard ATX boards I have seen
with multi ethernet onboard.