[mythtv-users] Problems after changeing MythTV's IP address

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 30 01:09:45 UTC 2009

On 09/29/2009 07:23 PM, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 09/29/2009 11:02 AM, David Segall wrote:
>>
>>> I changed the IP address of my MythTV (don't ask!).
>>>
>>> I have managed to to get the front end to start and it shows a list of
>>> recordings but trying to play them causes the the front end to hang. The
>>> same thing happens if I try to watch live TV. Some menu items work as
>>> expected but give me depressing news such as "No recordings scheduled".
>>> Is there an obvious fault? Is there some more information that would help
>>> locate the problem?
>>>
>> mythtv-setup (on /all/ hosts) and verify the backend IP Address under
>> General settings.
>>
> Per other threads on this list I was under the impression that
> mythtv-setup was to be run ONLY on backends,

More that it "need to be run only on backends" (or mythjobqueue
servers), but it can be run on any.

>  and has no settings
> relevant to frontends.  Is this not the case?
>
> If not, which settings are global, which are machine specific, which
> are relevant to a frontend, etc?

Well the thought was, if you changed IP addresses and some of your hosts
can't communicate with the others, some of them must not have the right
IP address settings, so the plan was to save a bit of time and tell you
to check them all rather than to try to figure out which specific hosts
in your setup you need to check.  Little did I realize that I'd have to
reply again to convince you to actually check them--so the time savings
didn't really pan out.  ;)

Besides, it's far better to check settings where you don't /have/ to set
them than to ignore settings that /must/ be right.  (I, personally, am
of the opinion that all MythTV hosts should be set up properly so that
the mythbackend and mythfrontend and mythjobqueue apps can be run on any
of them rather than having invalid/incorrect information in the DB on
those hosts you didn't configure for the a specific program.)

If all the IP address settings are right, then likely the problem is due
to your hostname changing (either because you changed it or because it
was changed when your IP address changed).  Cleaning that up is more
complex, so I figured I'd start with the easy one.

Mike