[mythtv-users] Any advice on upgrade path to mythtv .22 for debian users?

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:02:58 UTC 2009

I'm currently running stable (lenny) with .21+fixes but I'm thinking that's
a mistake since I'm keen to use .22 when it's released.  I've been doing
some reading regarding mixing stable and testing releases and I've come to
the conclusion that it'll probably break a lot of things since mythtv has a
lot of dependencies.

So as I see it I have 3 options:
1) do a dist upgrade from stable to testing and then wait for .22 to hit the
testing multimedia repo (anyone know how long that might take?)
2) stay with stable and install from source.  I try hard to avoid this in
general but in this case I'm not sure it's possible because of the
dependencies (mplayer, ffmpeg etc)?
3) re-install system and use ubuntu 9.04.  I generally like what I've seen
of ubuntu but the down time this would require as well as the learning curve
make this option the least appealing.

Anyone have other suggestions I've missed?

thanks
Matt