[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:06:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:11:07AM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> > >

> > >    Also, these Atom CPUs are extremely weak. Any video you play should
> > > be hardware accelerated through vdpau even if it is SD content. Without
> > > vdpau enabled for your particular player/content, these boxes are
> > > inferior to an AppleTV. XVMC is what makes the AppleTV usable.
> > >

> > I'm not sure which specific models you're referring to when you say
> "these
> > Atom CPUs".
>
>     ...the one in the system I was describing in the bit of text you
> deleted.

I wasn't actually arguing whether you were right or wrong in your specific
comparison. Just trying to clarify for everyone that not all Atom systems
are inferior to the AppleTV.  I thought your "these Atom CPUs" could be
taken similarly to "these kids these days".

> > For the record, the Zotac ION N330-based boards (zIONs) are leaps and
> bounds
> > better than the AppleTV. No hardware acceleration needed.  I have an ATV
> as
> > well as a zION330, and I can state as fact that the zION outperforms the
> ATV
> > in every situation.  From interface snappiness to network-file scanning
> > (MythVideo) to SD/HD playback.
>
>     MythTV benefits greatly from the superior video chip and having more
> video memory. It also benefits from vdpau acceleration when it's in use.

Of that, I've no doubt!  I'm waiting as patiently as possible for .22, and
I'll be using VDPAU too. =)

> > I'm still running .21 (since .22 isn't officially out) without VDPAU.
> > Running everything through software, the zION kicks the ATV's little
> anemic
>
>      If I go out of my way to push the system, the N330 falls over before
> the ATV will. Raw core speed is about on par between the N330 and the ATV
> but the N300 has what appears to be 4 cores. Dunno how that works out with
> the hyperthreading and something that could take advantage of it. I would
> not expect myth to take advantage of the "4 cores" but I could be wrong.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "falls over".  My ION has been 100%
stable (much more than I can say about my ATV).  It's more reliable, able to
handle HD video (and all other MythTV tasks), and is quite a bit faster than
my ATV.

For what it's worth, I still use my ATV daily and it's decent at SD (HD, not
so well), but the ION is on my primary TV and gets used much more and has no
hiccups.